Help with moving and travel costs
Our employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Relocation, transfer and appointment expenses procedure-PRO-0061 [PDF 132 kB]
- Directive 11/11 – Transfer and appointment expenses.
You may also be able to get:
- flights for you and your partner (if applicable)
- flights for your children
- mileage allowance where relevant
- relocation of personal belongings, including one vehicle.
We cover up to $5000 of your relocation costs.
You have 2 options to organise relocation for your personal belongings.
- Get 3 quotes from removalists and give them to your hiring manager, who will confirm which supplier to proceed with. If you choose this option, you are responsible for paying for the relocation costs up front. Then, you may claim for reimbursement.
- Use Toll Transitions, who will get quotes from a number of suppliers and work with your hiring manager to choose one. If you choose this option, Toll Transitions will invoice TCHHS directly.
We can only make arrangements for relocation once we get approval and a signed relocation agreement.
Please note if you cease to be employed within a certain period of time, you'll need to pay back your relocation reimbursements. Ask your hiring manager for more information.
Travelling to the communities
Use the following links to help find transport options between Cairns and the communities.
|Cooktown (surrounding communities)||Hinterland Aviation, Skytrans, RACQ trip planner|
|Horn Island||Qantas, Skytrans|
|Northern Peninsula Area||Rex, Peddells Ferry, RACQ trip planner|
|Thursday Island (via Horn)||McDonald Charter, Rebel Marine|
|Torres Strait outer islands||Skytrans|
|Weipa (surrounding communities)||Qantas, Skytrans, RACQ trip planner|
Mobile phone coverage
Parts of our region have limited or no mobile phone reception. Please check with your provider about coverage before arriving.
Use the following training to prepare before your first day on the job.
- Pathways to access Rural and Remote Orientation and Training (PaRROT) - programs on primary health care, rural and remote health service provisions and chronic disease care
- ilearn@QHealth - an online learning platform for the Department of Health, Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) and Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS).
Payroll, salary packaging and superannuation
- Access to your pay slips and leave balances from myHR. You are paid on a fortnightly cycle (10 days after end of fortnight).
- Salary packing providers are Remuneration Services (RemServ) and SmartSalary.
- Discuss the uniform/dress code for your work area with your line manager before you start.
- On Fridays, it's tradition in a lot of the communities to wear floral clothes. We refer to it as Floral Fridays. We encourage you to take part in this local custom.
Other resources and education
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health resources for health professionals
Patient care guidelines, other guidelines on specific health topics, sad news and sorry business, communicating effectively, and more.
- Rural and remote training and development options
Programs for health professionals available through registered training organisations, national programs and external or professional bodies.
- Rural and Remote Clinical Support Unit (RRCSU)
Learn more about how to support safe and quality care, such as the Primary Clinical Care Manual, and Chronic Conditions Manual.
- YouTube Cultural capability video link
See interviews with TCHHS Health workers about working in their communities.